Hello Guest, and welcome to Hockey Mayhem. Here at HM, we try to do our best to make it a very entertaining place to come and talk about hockey and find the latest news in the hockey world.

We have forums for the NHL, AHL, ECHL, CHL, SPHL, FHL, General Sports Forums, Team specific forums and more. We also have some other great features like an Arcade with 75+ games, Fantasy Leagues, 20+ Custom Skins/Themes, 500+ Custom team Avatars and more. No need to download or purchase any apps to use HM on your Mobile devices either, as we also offer a 100% free Mobile Mode that gets detected automatically when you visit HM on a mobile device such as a smartphone or a tablet.

Pages: (11) 1 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Just checked out the Mallards attendance
qcpuckhead
 Posted: Feb 3 2014, 11:30 PM
Hockey Guru

Group Icon

2,683 POSTS
Male
Nov 30, 2010
The Internet

Awards: None

Arcade Championships

Right now, the Mallards are drawing 3549 per game. If they can keep up this pace or better (which should be pretty attainable, based on the way attendance in the QC typically rises late in the season), then they will be looking at the best announced attendance since the 09-10 season.

Now, the 09-10 season was clearly padded. So, disregarding that season, as long as they keep the 3549 fans/game pace going, they will be looking at the highest attendance since drawing 4036 fans/game in the 04-05 season.

Obviously, there's still some work to do, but the uptick of about 500 fans/game before we even hit the part of the season that usually gives the best attendance numbers is pretty darn encouraging.
Quacky
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 01:16 AM
Hockey Guru

Group Icon

3,312 POSTS
Female
Feb 16, 2010
Quad Cities, IL

Awards: 1

Arcade Championships
N/A

No curtain on Saturday....should be close to a sellout!!!

"Not sure it'll help your Vikings much this year! Still don't see them finishing anywhere but 4th in the division..." (It's The Truth....)
mfrerkes
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 07:53 AM
Mrs. Bustos does not approve

Group Icon

5,819 POSTS
Male
Dec 23, 2007
Quad Cities, IA

Arcade Championships
N/A

QUOTE (qcpuckhead @ Feb 3 2014, 10:30 PM)
Now, the 09-10 season was clearly padded. So, disregarding that season, as long as they keep the 3549 fans/game pace going, they will be looking at the highest attendance since drawing 4036 fans/game in the 04-05 season.

Obviously, there's still some work to do, but the uptick of about 500 fans/game before we even hit the part of the season that usually gives the best attendance numbers is pretty darn encouraging.

Is this your way of walking back the claim earlier this season they weren't advertising enough? Did Congresswoman Bustos finally get to you? I'm pretty sure you're still being black-listed from obtaining employment here since making those remarks.

I've been to three games this season, and based on those nights, the attendance is obviously up from the complete disaster that was last season. Too bad the hockey is more boring than ever. People might actually show up in droves (like they did in the 1990s) if the actual hockey itself was fun to watch.

But, as long as they give away free souvenir crap from China and offer cheap hot dogs/beer, I doubt most folks will mind. It's not about the hockey anymore, anyhow.
pioneer98
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 09:16 AM
Team President

Group Icon

1,554 POSTS
Male
Aug 30, 2011
Quad Cities, USA

Arcade Championships
N/A

QUOTE (qcpuckhead @ Feb 3 2014, 10:30 PM)
Right now, the Mallards are drawing 3549 per game. If they can keep up this pace or better (which should be pretty attainable, based on the way attendance in the QC typically rises late in the season), then they will be looking at the best announced attendance since the 09-10 season.

If you only compare where they were at though 17 home games last year to the first 17 home games this year, you get this:
Last year through 17 = 2,529
This year through 17 = 3,550

This is an increase of 1,029/game, and 40%. This is the largest increase by far of any team in minor league hockey. The next closest are like 750/game and a 25% increase or so.

Also keep in mind that the minimum increase over last year will be roughly 400/game, because that's how many additional season tickets (and partial packages) they sold over last year.

I will do the math again after Deere night this weekend. Deere night last year was game #18. This year it will be game #20,

With all the Wednesday games they may not sustain the 1,000+ increase, but I bet they beat an increase of 500/game very easily.
silvershoes
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 12:24 PM
worker bee

Group Icon

3,573 POSTS
Female
Aug 10, 2007
land of big hair

Arcade Championships
N/A

Congrats, y'all.

This is much more fun than the perennial death watch. By far. http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h263/beermoney/Emoticons/beers.gif

Keep it simple. It'll get complicated all by itself.
pioneer98
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 01:02 PM
Team President

Group Icon

1,554 POSTS
Male
Aug 30, 2011
Quad Cities, USA

Arcade Championships
N/A

QUOTE (silvershoes @ Feb 4 2014, 11:24 AM)
Congrats, y'all.

This is much more fun than the perennial death watch. By far. http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h263/beermoney/Emoticons/beers.gif

Thanks! You are correct about that.

At the town hall a couple weeks ago McNamara said they were starting negotiations on a longer-term lease, too.
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 01:55 PM
Red Shoes Preschool Alum.

Group Icon

3,762 POSTS
Male
Aug 9, 2007
Quad Cities, IL

Arcade Championships
N/A

QUOTE (pioneer98 @ Feb 4 2014, 01:02 PM)
Congrats, y'all.

At the town hall a couple weeks ago McNamara said they were starting negotiations on a longer-term lease, too.

For a dollar a day, who wouldn't!

user posted image
pioneer98
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 02:28 PM
Team President

Group Icon

1,554 POSTS
Male
Aug 30, 2011
Quad Cities, USA

Arcade Championships
N/A

QUOTE (KillerCarlson @ Feb 4 2014, 12:55 PM)
Congrats, y'all.

Who knows if that is the deal they will get moving forward. That's why a "negotiation" is needed. I bet they'd have signed it already if they got that offer.
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 07:43 PM
Red Shoes Preschool Alum.

Group Icon

3,762 POSTS
Male
Aug 9, 2007
Quad Cities, IL

Arcade Championships
N/A

QUOTE (pioneer98 @ Feb 4 2014, 02:28 PM)
Congrats, y'all.

Who knows if that is the deal they will get moving forward. That's why a "negotiation" is needed. I bet they'd have signed it already if they got that offer.

Scott Mullen really doesn thave much to bargain with. They should easily be able to get that deal.

PS. I reactivated my facebook page today, and saw that the team has several of their interns pimping out tickets to the games this week. To me, that's pathetic. Sure, it may get butts in the seats, but there are classier ways to do it. Just my http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h263/beermoney/Emoticons/twocents.gif

user posted image
TheTruth
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 08:15 PM
Champ

1,117 POSTS
Male
Jul 3, 2012
Quad Cities, IL

Arcade Championships
N/A

QUOTE (KillerCarlson @ Feb 4 2014, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (pioneer98 @ Feb 4 2014, 02:28 PM)
Congrats, y'all.

Scott Mullen really doesn thave much to bargain with. They should easily be able to get that deal.

PS. I reactivated my facebook page today, and saw that the team has several of their interns pimping out tickets to the games this week. To me, that's pathetic. Sure, it may get butts in the seats, but there are classier ways to do it. Just my http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h263/beermoney/Emoticons/twocents.gif

I've seen it happen with the River Bandits as well. I don't think it's that big of a deal. The goal is to sell as many tickets as possible, and a friend's Facebook feed can definitely help get people who would normally not check the team page, etc. interested in going to a game. Sure there are classier ways to do almost everything a minor league sports team does, but they all cost $$$.
qcpuckhead
 Posted: Feb 4 2014, 08:49 PM
Hockey Guru

Group Icon

2,683 POSTS
Male
Nov 30, 2010
The Internet

Awards: None

Arcade Championships

Yeah, I don't really have a problem with it. I've used my Facebook page to promote work-related things before. Whether you're OK with doing it is pretty much personal preference, I suppose.

This post has been edited by qcpuckhead: Feb 4 2014, 08:50 PM
mfrerkes
 Posted: Feb 5 2014, 08:11 AM

Group Icon

5,819 POSTS
Male
Dec 23, 2007
Quad Cities, IA

Arcade Championships
N/A

Mallards hockey is living like a welfare queen these days. Can't afford to pay your own rent on a place? That's okay...we'll give you the place for free. Can't afford to keep your operations funded year to year? That's okay....we'll have the league quietly take over and pay the bills -- for multiple years if necessary.

It's a good thing the rest of the world has such pity on the Quad Cities. We would have been without hockey a long time ago if it wasn't for that.
mfrerkes
 Posted: Feb 5 2014, 08:22 AM

Group Icon

5,819 POSTS
Male
Dec 23, 2007
Quad Cities, IA

Arcade Championships
N/A

QUOTE (TheTruth @ Feb 4 2014, 07:15 PM)
I've seen it happen with the River Bandits as well.

The Mallards are copying the River Bandits' playbook practically verbatim. Just like the River Bandits, they are taking the focus away from the actual sport and relying on a barrage of noisy distractions to substitute as entertainment.

Now all we need is a goddamn ferris wheel in front of the truss suites, and the transformation will be complete.
JMC-STL
 Posted: Feb 5 2014, 08:40 AM
Under A Cheevers

19,991 POSTS
Male
Aug 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Awards: 2

Arcade Championships
N/A

QUOTE (mfrerkes @ Feb 5 2014, 07:22 AM)
... Now all we need is a goddamn ferris wheel in front of the truss suites, and the transformation will be complete.

Where do I get my tickets?!

user posted image

This post has been edited by JMC-STL: Feb 5 2014, 08:41 AM

"A goalie must have one overriding quality - he must want to be a goalie."-- Emile Francis
mfrerkes
 Posted: Feb 5 2014, 08:57 AM

Group Icon

5,819 POSTS
Male
Dec 23, 2007
Quad Cities, IA

Arcade Championships
N/A

QUOTE (JMC-STL @ Feb 5 2014, 07:40 AM)
Where do I get my tickets?!

The ferris wheel at the baseball stadium is supposed to be running by this spring. It isn't actually up yet, however.

You and Mrs. JMC should drive up for a romantic getaway to downtown Davenport when it is finally operational. Just imagine the picturesque Davenport skyline, with all its five-story buildings rising in the distance, as the smell of rotting fish and "homeless pee" gently wafts through the air.
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (11) 1 2 3 ... Last »
Add Reply
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules